Thursday, April 14, 2011

Road Trip Intro

With the Escape loaded up and our faithful mutt Stogie happily boarded in the kennel, the wife and I departed Dearborn, Michigan just as it was beginning to snow. (Always a bonus when you’re headed someplace warm!) Traffic was light and we made good time, and before long the Mitten State was in our rearview mirror and we were in Ohio. Not the most exciting state to drive through, but eventually the flatlands gave way to rolling hills and rocky outcroppings. We drove on through Cincinnati, across the Ohio River and into the beautiful state of Kentucky. Rugged terrain and sweeping valleys highlighted the drive. A long and narrow state, the jaunt through Kentucky from north to south was a picturesque, manageable three hours. Finally after about eight hours on the road, we exited the Interstate just across the border from Kentucky in the sleepy little town of Jellico, Tennessee. The town, more of a hamlet really, is nestled in a valley under Interstate-75. It was kind of dark and kind of eerie, actually; the sort of place where you hear banjo music right before you disappear forever. But we were too tired to drive on, so we found a clean, quiet motel room and stowed our gear. It was a balmy night, and we fished out a couple of beers from the Coleman Stainless Steel Belted Cooler* and sat outside our room. The beers were ice cold and went down smooth, and we decompressed as we watched the last remnants of purple sunlight fade over the mountaintops. You could see the silhouette of the trees on the ridgeline off in the distance. I was tired, but I was a nice tired – if that makes sense? It would have been a great night for a cigar, for sure, but I was just too lazy to commit. Three beers later and it was bedtime for me. [I know – this is supposed to be a cigar blog. Just bear with me. I am trying to set the mood and build up some anticipation.]

Good day!

* You can’t go on a road trip without having a high-quality cooler to store your brews, beverages and whatnot. I own a variety of coolers in all shapes and sizes, but my go-to cooler for travelling is the iconic Coleman Stainless Steel Belted Cooler. A birthday gift from my best friend Alex, the cooler has provided me ten-plus years of loyal service. Originally manufactured by Coleman in 1954, this insulated cooler has old-school looks combined with modern technology. Features include rust resistant hinges and screws, cam latch, and a leak proof drain. Solid as a rock, the cooler also makes a great place to sit. Check it out:

www.coleman.com



5 comments:

  1. I laughed, I cried, but mostly I now crave an ice cold beer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally figuered out how be sign up to follow this kook! Please continue as Alex said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this story ever going to continue?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your patience. I hope you enjoy the new post.

    ReplyDelete