Friday, April 8, 2011

Greetings! New Reviews Coming Soon...

Hello Cigar Scholar followers (all five of you)! Yes, I am alive and well, and still enjoying a good cigar now-and-then. However, due to life's circumstances I could not find the free time to blog about my experiences. That is until now... Things have eased up for me recently, so I'm hoping to dedicate more time to this blog, as the huddled, leaf-loving masses have been clamoring for content.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, towards the end of March the missus and I took a much-needed road trip/vacation away from wintery Michigan down to sunny Naples, Florida. And the second thing that comes to mind when I think road-trip (the first being, “How much is gas going to cost me?”) is, “What sorts of cigar smoking opportunities can I find?”

You see, Michigan’s strict year-old smoking ban leaves me few cigar smoking options in the colder months. And as much as I love cigars, I have no desire to smoke in my house or my car. So other than the occasional visit to a cigar lounge in a nearby city, my November-to-May cigar consumption takes a real hit. Thus, the prospect of venturing to warmer, more cigar-friendly climes had me as giddy as a kid on Christmas Eve. My goal on this trip would be to try and enjoy a cigar in every state through which we travelled (OH, KY, TN, GA and FL), and to check out any cool cigar lounges we could find along the way.

I stocked my travel humidor with a variety of eight cigars. Not that I planned on smoking them all, buts it's always better to have more than you need. I did my homework too, and I knew of several really nice cigar bars in and around Naples. And since it's bad etiquette to bring your own cigar to a cigar bar - and since I'm unable to walk into a humidor without buying an extra one for the road - there was the possibility of returning home with more cigars than I brought. (Actually, when I travel I make it a point to pick up a few sticks to bring home. That way I can store them in my humidor as mementos of the trip, and when I do get around to smoking them I am reminded of the fun times had.) What will follow over the next few days (or weeks) is a travelogue, if you will, along with condensed reviews of the cigars I smoked and the places I smoked them.

~Cigar Scholar

1 comment: