Thursday, June 3, 2010

Don Diego No. 100 Robusto

I realize Don Diego is considered more of a beginners’ smoke by most enthusiasts. But still, Don Diego has a very rich history in the cigar industry and was one of the first premium cigars I ever smoked, back when I was but a novice in the hobby. So I always like to keep a couple in my humidor for nostalgia’s sake. This mild cigar is typically a morning or afternoon smoke for me, and today was no exception. After several hours spent knocking a few items off my honeydew list (“honey do this… honey do that…”) I figured I’d reward myself with a garage smoke. It seemed a little early for the sauce, being a weekday morning and all, so I opted for an ice-cold Diet Coke. With my faithful mutt “Stogie” at my feet I got down to business.

This aromatic Robusto was one of a fiver special from Famous and rested in my humidor for well over a year. It came wrapped in cellophane; which I tend to leave on for reasons that I will go into another time. After carefully unsheathing the stogie, a pre-cut inspection revealed a silky smooth Connecticut shade wrapper with no obvious flaws -- typical since Don Diego’s are known for their consistent construction quality. Since I know from experience that this particular cigar is notorious for a very free draw, like a skilled surgeon I expertly cut off as little of the cap as possible. The pre-light sip revealed a smooth creamy flavor with just a touch of spice. I lit the fuse…

Ah sweet nectar, once again I suckle at your teat™. From the get-go this Don Diego Robusto lived up to its reputation as a mild-to-medium bodied smoke. It was exactly what one would expect from a smooth Dominican cigar. Near the mid-stick sweet spot I performed the nasal exhale to experience a pleasant peppery and toasty flavor. The cigar burned well throughout the smoke, with just a very minor wrapper fray near the end. The finish was subtle with sweet notes of spice and lavender, and almost no bitter aftertaste. I relaxed in the glow of my post manual labor, and all was well with the world.

To sum up: At around $5.00 a stick, if you like to keep something mild in your humidor that provides a consistently mellow smoking experience with a subtle finish, I highly recommend a Don Diego No. 100 Robusto.

Grade: B

Good day sirs!

No comments:

Post a Comment