Thursday, May 27, 2010

Davidoff Short Perfecto (5 x 50)

Most aficionados consider Davidoff to be the Mercedes Benz of cigars. I’d have to agree, but as I can no sooner afford to smoke a luxury cigar as I can to drive a luxury car, any Davidoff cigar is, to me, a rare treat. This little fireplug – a gift from a benevolent doctor friend – has been hibernating in my humidor for five long months. After a day spent putting in some yard work, I finished up just in time to beat the rain. So I decided to reward myself with a treat. I figured the Davidoff Short Perfecto (5x50) would be the perfect (pun intended) cigar to enjoy as a cool-down garage smoke.

Pre-cut/pre-light inspection ritual displayed a firm, light-brown torpedo-shaped cigar with a smooth wrapper. The subtle yet unmistakable white band with the Davidoff name in gold script glistened in the fading light. I slowly ran the stick under my nose, and with eyes closed took a whiff. Anticipation is half the fun. With my trusty Xikar cutter I deftly snipped off just the very tip of the head. The cold draw was tight, but I knew this to be typical of torpedo-shaped cigars until a few puffs in when the burn opens up the foot. The pre-light draw tempted me with notes of grass and wheat. Supposedly, sometime in the past couple of years Davidoff quietly changed the blend of these cigars, switching from a Connecticut grown wrapper to an Ecuadorian shade grown wrapper. Be that as it may, it’s sometimes hard for me to keep track of the vagaries of blends and wrappers and whatnot. But as I’ve said many times in the past: I know what I like when I smoke it. With that in mind I propped up my feet on a milk crate, settled in and lit the fuse…

Ah sweet nectar, once again I suckle at your teat ™! A few opening-bell puffs and I was immediately reminded of Davidoff’s unique flavor and aroma. Kind of like a creamy buttered toast. True to form, as I smoked this torpedo the foot opened up and the draw adjusted itself to ideal. Into the sweet (thick) spot and some pepper notes announced their presence through the nose, then earth tones and wood. It was truly a rich balance of tobacco flavor. The cigar burned consistently throughout the 45-minute smoke, although the ash was a bit flaky and the final puffs slightly harsh and gritty. As I savored the last few draws, a calm post-exercise euphoria settled over me. And all was well with the world.

To sum up: Like a $50 steak, the $13-a-stick Davidoff Perfecto is worth trying at least a few times in your life. Perhaps for a holiday or special occasion. Davidoff Perfecto’s really do have a unique blend of tobaccos and a distinctive wheatgrass flavor, even sublime I would say. However, I feel the Davidoff “good life” cigars are too cost-prohibitive to be a regular smoke – at least for me anyway.

Grade: B+

Good day sirs!

No comments:

Post a Comment